Original temple on 1881 Bush Street

Original temple on 1881 Bush Street

 
 Former Reverends of Sokoji

Former Reverends of Sokoji

 
 Interior of original temple on 1881 Bush Street

Interior of original temple on 1881 Bush Street

 

SOTO ZEN MISSION OF SAN FRANCISCO - SOKOJI

1934-Present

1934Founded by Reverend Hosen Isobe and Japanese-Americans in San Francisco
Dec  1934Founders purchase the Bush Street Synagogue at 1881 Bush Street, San Francisco (the original Sokoji temple building). Dedication ceremony performed.
May 1937Incorporated in the State of California
April 1942 Temple closed due to World War II (payments toward the purchase of the building continued voluntarily by congregation members from U.S. relocation camps)
1948 Temple re-opened for services by Reverend Rien Takahashi after World War II
1950 Reverend Hodo Tobase assigned to Sokoji. Reverend Tobase begins lectures for a small of group of non-Japanese speaking Soto Zen followers.
Aug 1951Fujinkai (Women's Club) officially recognized
1959Reverend Shunryu Suzuki assigned to Sokoji
1961Reverend Shunryu Suzuki established Zen Center at Sokoji for non-Japanese speaking members to practice zazen (meditation)
1967Reverend Shunryu Suzuki founds Tassajara Zen Mountain Center, Zenshiji
1969Reverend Shunryu Suzuki resigns from Sokoji in order to lead the San Francisco Zen Center at 300 Page Street San Francisco
1970Soko Joshi Judo Class by Professor Keiko Fukuda is established. Fukuda Sensei was the highest ranked female judoka in history (10th dan from the US Judo Foundation).
1970Reverend Daigo Moriyama assigned to Sokoji. New style Goeika, Baika, (Sutra chanting) is introduced by Reverend Renpo Niwa from Japan. Sokoji Goeika group begins practicing Baika.
1973Reverend Kyoin Fujikawa assigned to Sokoji
1970sSokoji Board of Directors begins discussing options to repair the temple located at 1881 Bush Street or build a traditional Japanese style temple in another location. The decision was made to build a new temple and a building committee was formed to oversee budget, fund raising, building plans, etc.
1978Reverend Shozen Hosokawa assigned to Sokoji
1979Shorinji Kempo Martial Arts School is established by Sensei Yuji Harada
1980Construction of the new temple begins at 1691 Laguna Street, San Francisco
Apr 1984Dedication ceremonies are held at the new temple
Feb 1986"O-Jukai-E" (Receiving of the Precepts Ceremony) officiated by Renpo Niwa Zenji Abbot of Eiheiji
Sep 1988Initial issue of "Baika" newsletter published by the Fujinkai
1992Third United States Soto Conference is held at Sokoji
Oct 1994Ceremonies for the 60th Anniversary of the founding of Sokoji and the 10th Anniversary of the new temple building are held/td>
1997Reverend Ikki Nambara assigned to Sokoji
1999Soto Zen Education Center moves to Sokoji. In 2002 the name is changed to Soto Zen Buddhism International Center.
2002Reverend Kiko Tatedera assigned to Sokoji
Oct 2002Pilgrimage to Eiheij for the 750th Anniversary of Dogen Zenji's Entering Nirvana
Oct 2004Ceremonies for the 70th Anniversary of the founding of Sokoji are held
Oct 2009Ceremonies for the 75th Anniversary of the founding of Sokoji are held
2012Reverend Kiko Tatedera resigns to return to his family temple in Miyagi-ken, Shinryuin, due to the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake/Tsunami
2015Reverend Koshi Kurotaki assigned to Sokoji